Wednesday, January 18, 2023

The Bog

In the middle of the night, maybe four in the morning, I woke up from a bad dream and couldn't get back to sleep. Normally I get back to sleep right away, but the puppy sleeping beside me was having a bad dream too, and in the process of comforting him, so that he could get back to sleep, I started worrying about all the things in life that generally keep you up at night. In my case, there are plenty. Giving up, I went downstairs and sat in my chair.

What I often do in situations like this is play online boggle, or the bog, which is an intense little online world where, in the process of trying to find words in a cube of letters, in this situation sixteen of them, I get my mind off whatever is bugging me and into a more mundane, relaxing but competitive sport. Some programmer set it up so that it runs by itself, with a new game every few minutes, and in the daytime up to thirty or forty people will compete, all with different names, but in the middle of the night, maybe only five or six.

On this particular night, there were twelve, and two of them were the Fosters, a man and a woman. The woman was slightly better than the man; she'd place maybe third while he placed fifth. Back when they were a team, Team Foster, they'd win every game the whole time they played. The game allows you to be a team, but then the rest of us only see your collective score under Team Foster, and don't get to see the individual players. But occasionally one would quit before the other, or start before the other, or perhaps one would get up to get coffee, and we'd see only the one player: Team Foster: Carl or Team Foster: Izbla. I assumed that that last one was Izabella, or something like that, and that they were married and probably lived together. But over the years we saw a spat, and then we saw them break up, and then they were never Team Foster anymore. So I had made a couple of assumptions, which I was aware were based on flimsy evidence, that Izabella was no longer a Foster. For years they said nasty things to each other through the names they used for themselves on each boggle game. That's because you can change your name each game you play, eliminating the team if you want, or adding it, or just speaking to someone. One night I clearly remember, in about third place: TeamF got new bff and in fifth place Teamf gotohellIzzy. In their names, they were not using the "Team" function, not playing as a team, but speaking to each other using "Teamf" and carrying on their marital dispute. At least they were enjoying games of boggle though.

In boggle, you make as many words as you can from a cube of four letters across, four down, sixteen altogether, or you can play the five by five board, which is twenty-five altogether. In that little window of time you spell out as many words as you can, and believe me, some people can get an incredible number of words, fast, from those boards. You'd be surprised how many words there actually are, and after a while, if you study the ones you've missed, you get more of them, you get better at it, you become quite a fast typer. This had clearly happened to Izzy and Carl, perhaps even before they'd married, but I often pictured them, even during their marriage, both typing away at perhaps a kitchen table, maybe shouting out the words they got or found. It's a pleasurable way to pass the time. One very rarely wins, because so many people on there are so good at it. Some, I suspect, have found a way to cheat; perhaps they got a computer to list out all the possible words and they just type them in? I'm not sure, but people get incredibly high scores. I almost never win, and it's all I can do to keep from coming in last, especially in the late nights when the hard-core players are all out there, and almost everyone gets way more points than I do.

So on this night they were both there, and they were both talking to each other, and it was about three in the morning. But suddenly I got very disturbed by the names they were giving themselves. Izzy was in trouble. In the higher position I'd see teamf help carl to which he'd reply, the next game, teamf whatsupizzy. She, as her name, used teamf imtrappedneedurhelp and his name was teamf wtf. She used teamf needoutofhere and he used teamf thoughthewasbff. She used teamf hesamonster and he used teamf getonfbnwelltalk. She used teamf cantheswatching and then she disappeared. He played a number of other games, asking her questions, but they went unanswered; she was gone.

In the middle of the night, I'm trying to calm my mind, thinking of words given a number of combinations. Game after game relaxes my mind, and keeps it off of my own problems, which are sometimes overbearing. But now I was in the middle of Izzy and Carl's problem. She fell in with the wrong guy. Carl was her only way to get help, get her out of it. Carl undoubtedly at least knew where she lived. Carl could at least do something about it. I had no idea even what city they were in, or where. I thought I remembered, from some earlier thing one of them said, Virginia somewhere. Virginia is for lovers, I thought. But it's also for a whole range of other things, too, I'm sure. Some lurid drama was playing out there in Virginia that night, I imagined. If I were Carl, I'd head over to her house, even if she were an ex.

But then, I had no idea how bad their breakup was. I figured it was a good sign that they could still get on the online boggle and play a few games together at night, even if they weren't a team any longer. But really I had no idea if Carl could stomach getting involved with some controlling new boyfriend that Izzy had. Would he come to her rescue?

I guess I'd have to stay on the bog to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment